- Prosper or Perish: Credit and Fiscal Systems in Rural China, Cornell University Press, 2012
Refereed Journal Articles
- “‘Land Grabbing’ in an Autocracy and a Multi-Party Democracy: China and India Compared”, Journal of Contemporary Asia, forthcoming.
- (with Donglin Han) “What Drives People to Protest in an Authoritarian Country? Resources and Rewards vs. Risks of Protests in Urban and Rural China”, Political Studies, 67(1), 2019.
- “Engaging Huangniu (Brokers): Commodification of State-Society Bargaining in China”, Journal of Contemporary China, 28 (166), 2019.
- “‘Thugs-for-Hire’: Subcontracting of State Coercion and State Capacity in China”, Perspectives on Politics, 16 (3), 2018.
- “Thugs and Outsourcing of State Repression in China”, China Journal, July 2018.
- (with Guangwen He) “Chinese Rural Cooperative Finance in the Era of Post-commercialized Rural Credit Cooperatives”, Special Issue: Cooperatives in China, The Chinese Economy, 47 (3), July 2014.
- “State-led Urbanization in China: Land Revenue and Concentrated Villagers’ Living,” China Quarterly, vol. 217, pp.162-179.
- “The Apparent “Paradox” in China’s Climate Policies,” Asian Survey, 52(6), 2012.
- “Between Developmental and Clientelist Local States: Explaining Rural Industrialization in China,” Comparative Politics, 44 (2), 2012.
- “Fiscal Federalism and Soft Budget Constraint: The Case of China,” International Political Science Review, 33 (4), 2012.
- “Communist Party and Financial Institutions: Institutional Design of China’s Post-Reform Rural Credit Cooperatives,” Pacific Affairs, 82(2), 2009.
- “The Political Economy of Township Government Debt, Township Enterprises, and Rural Financial Institutions in China,” China Quarterly, vol. 186, 2006.
- “Multiple Principals and Collective Action: China’s Rural Credit Cooperatives and Poor Households’ Access to Credit,” Journal of East Asian Studies, 6(2), 2006.
Book Chapters and Reports
“Reports on Social Unrest in China” in Handbook of Research on Politics in China, edited by David G. Goodman, 2015, (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar).
(with Christian Gobel) “Social Unrest in China” in China and the EU in Context: Insights for Business and Investors, edited by Kerry Brown, 2014, (London: Palgrave MacMillan).
“Social Unrest in China,” ECRAN, 2012.
“Greasing the Wheels of Development: Rural Credit in China,” Politics and Markets in Rural China, Bjorn Alpermann ed. London: Routledge, 2011.
- “Youth Engagements to Advance Canada-China Relations” (with James Flynn), in Moving Forward: 45 Years of Canada-China Relations, edited by David Mulroney and Joseph Wong, February 2016.
- “A Discussion of Daniel A. Bell’s The China Model: Political Meritocracy and the Limits of Democracy”, Perspectives on Politics, vol. 14, iss 1, March 2016.
- “The Financial Sector”, Oxford Bibliographies—Chinese Studies, Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Review of “Factions and Finance in China: Elite Politics and Inflation”, by Victor Shih, (New York, NY: Cambridge University Press, 2008), the China Journal, Issue 65, January 2011.
- “Rural Development Since 1978: Agricultural Policy”, The Encyclopaedia of Modern China, Vol. 3, Gale Modern China series, Detroit, MI: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 2009.
- “Rural Development Since 1978: Agricultural Banking”, The Encyclopaedia of Modern China, Vol. 3, Gale Modern China series, Detroit, MI: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 2009.
- Review of “Rural Democracy in China: The Role of Village Elections”, by Baogang He, (Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave MacMillan, 2007), the China Journal, Issue 62, July 2009.
- Review of “A Chinese Economic Revolution: Rural Entrepreneurship in the Twentieth Century”, by Linda Grove, (Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield, 2006), the China Journal, Issue 60, July 2008.
- Review of “Engaging the Law in China: State, Society, and Possibilities for Justice”, edited by Neil J. Diamant, Stanley B. Lubman, and Kevin J. O’Brien, (Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2005), the Journal of East Asian Studies, Issue 8, 2008.
- Review of “Financial Sector Reform in China”, edited by Yasheng Huang, Tony Saich, and Edward Steinfeld (Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Asia Centre, 2005), the China Journal, Issue 56, July 2006.
- Review of “Taxation Without Representation in Contemporary Rural China”, by Thomas P. Bernstein and Xiaobo Lü (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003), the China Journal, Issue 51, January 2004.
- Review of “The Heart of Economic Reform: China’s Banking Reform and State Enterprise Restructuring”, by Donald D. Tong, (Hampshire, UK: Ashgate, 2002), the China Journal, Issue 51, January 2004.
- Review of “China’s Developmental Miracle: Origins, Transformations, and Challenges”, edited by Alvin So (Armonk: M.E. Sharpe, 2003), the China Journal, Issue 50, July 2003.
I have a number of working papers on popular protest, state repression, state-society bargaining, urbanization and land reforms in China and India. Available upon request.